I renewed my Dreamwidth subscription not too long ago. Here are some reasons why:
- Poll answers display percentages for ticky boxes in a way that doesn't make me want to cry. People should be response units, not boxes ticked!
- Code tours: I may not understand everything, but they are fun to read.
- Sensible and easy cross-posting to my now-basic Livejournal account, 'cause I still like all you non-migrant friends.
- They generally seem to care about accessibility, standards and all that good stuff.
- I haven't noticed a spam problem. Sure, this might be just a small target thing like Apple at 3% market share had, but it's nice however it happened.
- Cut expansion in place: works just like drilling down folders or getting extra settings in a dialog box, and keeps the number of tabs down in my browser.
- Probably not evil.
- No ads, and an explicitly-stated business plan for not having ads.