I've been carrying around a list in my head of things to do while I'm 32 years old; now I'm committing it to the Internet. I've seen bucket lists and life lists, but the time horizon doesn't speak to my procrastination-prone and tactical nature, and I of course see New Year's resolutions, but I think going by my years rather than calendar years is more personal, and protects me a little from the list elements being fresh when the invariable collapse of many resolutions happens in late January. Also, some elements of the list were really dear and salient to me in the summer, so it made sense to hang them on my birthday (even if it's taken months to post them here). So, here are the things I would like to do or improve significantly this year:
- Floss more days than not.
- Make a conscious and courageous-when-necessary effort to improve my relationships in ways that make me happy.
- Make deeper use of this journal, as part of trying to be less guarded with people that I trust.
- Wear through multiple massage bars.
- Get the deposit back on beer bottles at smaller intervals and more reliably.
- Wipe out the mortgage and direct the resulting savings to a mix of responsible and fun things.
- Replace the chain-link fence with a durable, attractive, Oscar-resistant one.
- Get a check-up this year and renew my vaccinations; it's been too long on both counts.
In general, I think I have more guiding values than long-term specific goals, but here are some things (somewhere between values and goals) on a longer time scale.
- Have fewer secrets.
- Be entrusted with more secrets.
- Raise competent, well-adjusted kids. Do so with good humour, love and trust in them.
- Make our house more comfortable, energy-efficient and adjusted to us.
- Take care of my body and try and make my list of aches and pains not increase monotonically.
- Get family doctors for all of us in the household.
- Continue to like my job, be good at it, and be worthy of the respect of my co-workers.
- Keep learning new things, and consolidate dabbling into competent in new areas from time to time.