In the no-deadline parts of the list, we increased doctor coverage from zero of us to Vivien, and maybe Oscar in the fall. I started a new position, for which I'm learning a bunch of stuff and alternating between feeling competent and feeling like I just opened an overstuffed closet and the top shelf fell on me. My aches and pains had a good go at me in the spring, but I think I'm done with sciatica for a while and feeling generally as good as I was at last list time. In improving the house, we got a dishwasher, which might count, and I fixed the back stairs last week — their surprise collapse would've been hard on the comfort of whoever was on them at the time. The kids are gaining competence at a frightening pace and Oscar declared he wanted hugs and fire for his birthday party, so we're doing something right even as I feel I could use more patience and humour sometimes.
Here's what I would like to achieve in the next year:
- Keep up the flossing.
- Communicate better in relationships.
- Continue to wear through massage bars.
- Make the house cheaper to heat, either with insulation or a heating system upgrade, or both.
- Getting a GP and a checkup/vaccination update might be a tall order, but I will attempt to start allergy shots so I'm popping fewer antihistamines next summer. If I can do allergies and deferred maintenance, all the better.
- Somehow fix the Wike's stroller mode. As it is, the walking wheel doesn't hold up under our frequent use — three bolts to one frame member is no match for the leverage exerted by bumps and curbs.
- Give the promotion process this fall my best shot, and accept whatever comes of it gracefully.
- Reach out to a few more people at work in the hope of developing a new friendship or two.
Here are some longer-term things:
- Round out home heating improvements and make the kitchen suit us better.
- Raise competent, well-adjusted kids. Do so with good humour, love and trust in them.
- Take care of my body and try and make my list of aches and pains not increase monotonically.
- Get family doctors for all of us in the household.
- Continue to like my job, be good at it, and be worthy of the respect of my co-workers.
- Keep learning new things, and consolidate dabbling into competent in new areas from time to time.
I hope I'll do at least as well between now and next birthday as I did in the last year or so.